Table of Contents
Migrating from GandiAI v.1.X to GandiAI v.1.2 2011
before starting the migration of your server.
First of all, it is very important to note that this operation includes some risk of data loss so we STRONGLY encourage you to backup all your data before starting this procedure.
Gandi cannot be held responsible for any loss of data that might occur during this operation.
It is necessary to create a new server for this operation. However, we will be stopping and deleting the old one before creating the new one. This is in order to retain the IPv4 address of your current server, and thus avoid having to redo any DNS configurations of domains that are installed on it!
Additionally, keep in mind that in order to perform this delicate operation as easily as possible, it is imperative that you be in possession of all the usernames and passwords associated with the services that you need to migrate (MySQL, FTP, etc…).
1) Export your Gandi AI XML configuration
- Log into your Gandi AI server's control panel and then click on the link “Manage your Gandi AI server”
- Next, click on the link, “Export in XML”. You will now see an XML file that will contain your Gandi AI server's configuration (including the passwords for the various services).
2) Back up your database
- If you are a user of one or more databases on your Gandi AI server, make a backup (dump) of it for added security. You may perform a dump from PHPmyAdmin (if you have installed it) or even through SSH, by the admin user.
mysqldump -u admin -p --all-databases > all_databases.sql
3) Stop your server
- Your server will therefore not be accessible after this step, and until the end of the procedure.
4) Remove and rename your data disk
- It is very important that you recuperate your data disk. And for this, you will need to remove it from your stopped server.
- Once your data disk has been detached, rename it. It will be important that you create the next server with a data disk of the same name as your old Gandi AI server, so that the configuration is able to locate its path.
We recommend that you rename your original disk by adding an “_old” or “2” to the end of the name, etc.
5) Delete your Gandi AI server
- Even if this step stresses you out a bit, it is mandatory to allow you to recover your IP address. This is because an IP address at Gandi is “attached” to your account for several months. Therefore, in order to recover your server's address, it is necessary to delete it and then create a new server.
6) Purchase additional disk quota
- If you do not have enough disk quota available, you will need to purchase additional quota in order to be sure that you have at least 1 GB. This is necessary in order to create a Gandi AI server, since you will not be deleting your initial disk, and so consequently, you will not have enough free disk quota left.
7) Create a new Gandi AI
- Choose a Gandi AI in prepackaged mode: there is no need to try to reproduce the configuration that you have tried, since the XML configuration that you exported will do that for you. :)
It is very important that you give your new server the exact same name as your old Gandi AI server! It is also necessary that you give it the same password for the admin user.
- Validate the default configuration without making any modifications: it will be replaced by your old configuration. Once your new Gandi AI server is started, you will be able to see that it has the same IPv4 as your old server.
8) Remove your data disk
- When you create your new server, you will have acquired a data disk that is attached to it. This is the one that uses the additional disk quota that you purchased. It will need to be removed from the server and deleted, since two disks cannot have the same name in the same account. It is first necessary to stop your new server in order to remove the disk.
- Once your disk has been detached and deleted, go to the manage your resources page and delete the disk that you have just removed.
9) Rename your old disk
- You may now rename your old disk, by giving it its original name, and then attach it (still from your server's control panel, and in the “Disk management” section) to your new Gandi AI server.
10) Import your original configuration
- This is the last step: importing your original configuration!
Go to your server's control panel and click on “Manage your Gandi AI server (like in the first step). However this time, we are going to click on “Import in XML“. You will then need to copy and paste the entire text contained in your XML file** that you exported during step 1.
- You may verify the configuration after having imported the XML data. Once you are happy with it, submit the configuration and wait 2 to 5 minutes before it takes effect on your new Gandi AI server.
This will conclude the migration process.